Ode to the 408: Burnt Almond Cake

I was bored with my own baking. I wanted a challenge. So when my friend, K, mentioned she had to bake a cake for a friend's birthday I knew my opportunity arrived. She hates baking. And I don't like to bake unless I have someone or someplace to give the treats away to. I'm not going to eat it.

So I quickly volunteered (myself as tribute, hah) to make the cake for her. I already had a cake in mind. I recently went home and tried a cake that's infamous around my hometown. A Burnt Almond Cake from Peter's Bakery.

A Burnt Almond cake is a layers of almond cake, almond pastry cream, and covered in a light almond buttercream. The entire sides of the cake is covered with a delightfully crunchy crumb. The almond flavor is pretty unusual for a cake and it was delicious. The cake is moist and not cloyingly sweet.  I found a copy-cat recipe online immediately.

In my version, I added salted caramel macarons dipped in Belgian chocolate for decoration and caramelized almonds instead of a crunch topping.

Damn, was this cake a hit or what. :D





Comments