Galette des Rois

I am obsessed with the Great British Baking Show. I finished the entire first season in a few days. My favorite part is when the bakers would be tasked to make something they've never heard or seen of before. What a great way to really test a person's baking skills!

I learned about this cake from my friend from Belgium. He told me about how this cake would be everywhere around the new year. The cake is a puff pastry encased around an almond paste filling. There is usually a small ceramic toy that is placed somewhere in the middle so that whomever gets it in their slice of cake gets to be King for the day.

After a little bit of research, I decided to take the easy route and get pre-made puff pastry and fill it with the almond filling. It completely failed because all the fillings burst out of the seams and burnt! The second time was a success. I used a whole almond as a substitute for the ceramic baby King.

The King was not crowned from my cake...whoever found the almond just ate it!


Comments