Honey Walnut Shrimp

My Dad has been craving Honey Walnut Shrimp for a while and put in a special request for me to make it.

I think this turned out a lot better than expected. The last time I made this was in high school so I'm pretty pleased I was able to re-create it without the help of a recipe.

I did make some alterations though. I added some cayenne pepper to the honey mayonnaise sauce, hoping that the spice would give it more of a dimension other than SWEET MAYO. I also chose not to use iceberg lettuce because I felt that kind of lettuce is generally useless being so bland in taste and color. I also salted the sugar glazed walnuts too. Oh and this was the first time I used coconut oil to fry something. Gorgeous aroma and makes me feel a little less guilty eating it.


My dad ate TWO servings. Solid success!

Anyone want to come over for dinner now? (:

Recipe



Honey Walnut Shrimp
Note: The measurements are arbitrary. So you can adjust based to your own preferences and taste.
Ingredients:
  • Large shrimp, de-veined and peeled.
  • Mayonaise
  • Condensed milk
  • Tempura Mix
  • Sugared Walnuts
  • Pineapple
  • Lettuce/Salad mixture of your choosing
  • Cayenne Pepper
  • Salt
  1. Mix 2 tablespoons of mayonaise, 1 tablespoon of condensed milk, and 1 tablespoon of honey together into a mixing bowl. Mix well. Should be a light tan color. (Ratio is 2:1:1 in case you want to make more of a sauce). Add some cayenne pepper.
  2. Heat oil to frying temperatures.
  3. Mix your tempura batter according to instructions. 
  4. Place your shrimp on a paper towel and lightly dab them dry before putting them into the batter. I found that making sure excess water isn't on the shrimp helps keep the batter on and consistent.
  5. Fry the battered shrimp about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Take out of the oil and place onto paper towels to drain excess oil.
  6. Cut up pineapples and add into mayo. Mix well.
  7. Add the tempura shrimp into the mayo. Toss lightly.
  8. Put the pineapple and shrimp covered in mayo deliciousness on top of your bed of lettuce.
  9. Place a few walnuts on top.
  10. DEVOUR!

Comments